HOSA Future Health Professionals is a healthcare organization that has been dedicated to empowering young leaders and inspiring the next generation of health professionals since 1975. Through competitions, conferences, and more, Iowa HOSA Future Health Professionals provides its 250,000+ members with diverse opportunities to engage with and learn about the various avenues in healthcare. This organization strives to build a community for students across the state who are passionate about healthcare and provide them with a safe space to grow and cultivate the skills necessary for entering the medical field.
Benefits & Goals
HOSA is a community for students who all share a passion for healthcare, science, and helping others. This organization provides students with a safe place to connect with members across the state and nation. At local, state, and national levels, HOSA prioritizes the cultivation of life-long friendships through active community engagement and collaboration.
Through competitions, HOSA engages with students and helps them deepen their knowledge and professional experience. Additionally, HOSA educates its members about the various avenues in healthcare and how each and every person can contribute to the medical field. By encouraging advocacy and volunteer work through service projects, HOSA goes beyond simply teaching its members the technical skills they need to be successful in healthcare.
The mission of HOSA is to empower HOSA-Future Health Professionals to become leaders in the global health community through education, collaboration, and experience.
The purpose of HOSA-Future Health Professionals is to develop leadership and technical HOSA skill competencies through a program of motivation, awareness and recognition, which is an integral part of the Health Science Education instructional program.
The goals that HOSA believes are vital to each member are:
- To promote physical, mental and social well being.
- To develop effective leadership qualities and skills.
- To develop the ability to communicate more effectively with people.
- To develop character.
- To develop responsible citizenship traits.
- To understand the importance of pleasing oneself as well as being of service to others.
- To build self-confidence and pride in one’s work.
- To make realistic career choices and seek successful employment in the health care field.
- To develop an understanding of the importance in interacting and cooperating with other students and organizations.
- To encourage individual and group achievement.
- To develop an understanding of current health care issues, environmental concerns, and survival needs of the community, the nation and the world.
- To encourage involvement in local, state and national health care and education projects.
- To support Health Science Education instructional objectives.
- To promote career opportunities in health care.
I recognize the universal need for quality, compassionate healthcare.
I understand the importance of academic excellence, skills training, and leadership development in my career pathway.
I believe through service to my community and to the world, I will make the best use of my knowledge and talents.
I accept the responsibility of a health professional and seek to find my place on a team equally committed to the well-being of others.
Therefore, I will dedicate myself to promoting health and advancing healthcare as a student, a leader, an educator, and a member of HOSA-Future Health Professionals.
We value learning. We are committed to learning and becoming respected, knowledgeable and skilled health professionals. We will respect the experiences and contributions of our teachers, peers and patients and seek to learn from them.
We value leadership. We will serve as role models in our academic program, profession and community. We will be ethical, accountable and trustworthy. We will use our influence to empower others to strive for excellence.
We value service. We are dedicated to serving others with compassion. We believe that individuals are important, and we will treat everyone with respect and care.
We value innovation. We are dedicated to enriching the lives of others. We will continuously seek the knowledge and skills to address challenges and improve the health professions.